Dec 22, 2009

Buy My Book!!


“Buy my book!!” that was the first sentence out of my wife’s mouth after her second brain surgery.

On June 19, 2008 my wife had an operation for a subdural hematoma. It scared the hell out of me. She had been complaining of a headache while fixing dinner the night before and it had gotten so bad we had put her to bed. Later that night, I found her in the bathroom unconscious and babbling something I could not understand. After trying to revive her, I panicked and went to the neighbor for helps. Luckily Ron and Margie knew what to do.  Margie called 911and management.  Ron got the security gate open for the ambulance to get to our unit.

It was about 11pm. By 3am the following  morning Ginny was in the operating room being operated on to relieve the pressure and find the cause of the bleed. That was after two ambulance rides to two different Kaiser hospitals. The first for evaluation (South Sac) and the second (Morse Ave) for the operation.

Thank god for Kaiser. They were wonderful and little if any time was lost. She is alive today because of their fast actions.

What does that have to do with the book? After the first operating, Ginny was admitted to the hospital for recovery and observation. All went well at first. The first few days she was recovering well. But over the next week, she started to back slide. Ten days after the first operation she had to be operated on again for a bleed inside the brain. It was worse than the first.

The next morning, Ginny woke up to some strange lady trying to give her a sponge bath around her private parts. She would have non of that and told the lady so. She did not know where she was, but she thought she was in prison. The guards all wore white coats to make her think she was in a hospital. She just didn’t know why she was there and what she had done. The only people that seemed nice to her were the janitors.

After several hours the guards came in again and were discussing her right in front of her when I be-bopped in to see how she was doing....... Finally a familar face.

I sat down next to the bed to talk to her. She was awake and following me with her eyes. Great signs compared to the last week. When all she had done during the last few days was lay in her bed with her mouth agape and not responsive to anything.

All of a sudden out of her mouth came “Buy My Book!!!” I had a grin on my face bigger than Mount Olympus. “Ginny is back”. God did that feel fantastic.

She didn’t say much after that because she did not want the guards to notice her. After they turned their backs to her, she leaned over and said “Don’t YOU Leave Me!!!”. She did not want to be left in prison alone. Boy!! Was I smiling.

She could put a sentence together and recognized me. Her brain was working again. A few days before she could not talk. I could see her trying but the words would not come. The pressure had been over the speech section of her brain.

Over the next few days, she healed well and understood what had happened to her. Strong Lady that she is.

She is back to normal (For Her) and doing well. There were some other medical issues that had to be addressed, but so what, I have my Ginny back.

I retired to keep and eye on her. Surpirising how things can change your plans unexpectedly. As they say, ‘we make our plans and the gods laugh’. Boy!! is that the truth.

What does this have to do with living as a nudist?, you ask. If we had not been living where we do, Ginny would be dead. It was our neighbors that came to the rescue. That is one of the main reason we live here. We know and care about our neighbors and they return the feelings. Are you that lucky?

Until next time, may your God keep you safe.........



No comments: