Dec 28, 2009

Trying Again

Back in ’62 while I was still in high school, my ex-brother in law took me to a meeting that was going to change my life. It was for ‘Ovation’, a line of skin care and cosmetic stuff. That started my fascination with Multi Level Marketing. MLM for short. Gary took me to lots of meetings. I love the excitement of the presentations. The fire of the audience.  The BIG Dream.......Money to Burn!!! Too bad I had to talk to someone to make it happen. There was always that catch.

Just a few years earlier, Amway got underway and was the talk of the town (Salt Lake City, Utah). People were raving about the potential. Everyone was in it. I’ve been in it 6 or 7 times over the years. Even had Ginny selling it door to door in San Jose Never got anywhere with recruiting members (or steady customers for that matter). Loved the products. Two things that I found out, everyone has tried to sell it and no one is still in it. At least the people I know.

MLM has a great concept. You get some people to signup and they get some people to signup and they get some people to signup. Everyone buys something and everyone makes a ton of money. Right!!!??? Not for me………….. I always forget something; I couldn’t sell water to a man dying of thirst in the desert.. Some people can sell ice to Eskimos. That’s not me.

The ranch had an art and crafts show just before Christmas and the Helping Hands had a booth with baked goods to raise money for the fund. They were doing just so-so until one of the members decided to help… within the hour they were out of stuff to sell. That lady could sell!!! Don’t slow down near her when she is on a roll… you will go home with a grocery bag full of stuff you had no intention of buying…I understand that she once sold someone a moldy sandwich by convincing them it was like penicillin.

Some people are like that. Every MLMers dream. Just need one. Unfortunately, I never had one.

Over the years, I have tried different products and schemes, nothing worked out. I did not have the time or the money to really put the effort into it. I’ve tried countless supplements, fire extinguishers, water softeners, travel clubs, advertising plans, you name it I probably have tired it at one time or another.

That was before I retired. Now I have the time, not the money, but I have a computer. The great modern day equalizer (put your six shooter away). I have a site that sells; I just need to get people there. No one has to have a garage full of household product, closet full of supplements, travel half way around the world or be prepared to put-out a 100 fires. They just need to know a few people and have $10.

Off I go again………………..

Until next time, may your God keep you safe.........



No comments: